Thursday, July 22, 2010

Pretty Girl and Stern Man

Computers to translate world's 'lost' languages after program deciphers ancient text

SBC politics this ain’t, but this sure is interesting.

The idea of peering into the past is a fascinating one and what better way than to read what was written by the ancients. Instead of translator superstars like Champollion, we have a computers and programmers that may crack some of the recalcitrant ancient texts. I’d love to see it happen.

But what I would really like to see is some way for me to identify the hundreds of old family photographs that I have accumulated over the years. All I can do is label them with names like “Pretty Girl” and “Stern Man.” Some geek should come up with a program to scan, digitize and identify these. That would be unlocking hidden treasures indeed.


Stern Man

I'd love to know what the ancient Etruscans were writing about or what those Easter Islanders were thinking when they made those enormous heads with beady eyes.


What I'd really like to know is this: Who is 'Pretty Girl'? Who is 'Stern Man'? Is she my great-great grandmother as a girl? Is he an old codger in one of my lines?

Pretty Girl


Maybe one day.

No comments: